Pet ownership exists across many epochs, cultures, and socioeconomic strata. It is commonly assumed that the presence of pet animals is beneficial to human wellness, and this perception contributed to the increased interest in pet ownership during the COVID-19 Pandemic. In countries such as the US, Canada, the UK, and Australia, many people live with pets.
The field of pet care products is an all-encompassing one involving products that are used to take care of pets like dogs, cats, fishes, hamsters, parrots, etc. The pet care products majorly include the following two (02) categories with several subcategories:
Pet Consumer Products
- Pet grooming aids such as shampoos, soaps, brushes, bathtubs, slippers, scissors, etc.
- Pet hygiène products such as deodorizers, disinfectants, cleaning products, etc.
- Pet attire such as pet coats, blankets, rugs, t-shirts, etc.
- Pet food & drink dispensers
- Pet housing
- Pet toys
- Pet training, control aids, and accessories such as collars, leads, muzzles, harnesses, tethers, whistles, clickers, etc.
Though there aren’t many specific regulations for pet consumer products, they usually comply with General Consumer Safety Regulations & Chemical Regulations of respective countries and may also use internal quality testing standards. For instance, in a few countries, pet toys follow the same regulations as children’s toys whereas, pet disinfectants and cleaning products must comply with specific labeling requirements.
- Pet foods & drinks, including pet food additives
- Pet nutritional supplements
Pet foods are highly regulated at every stage, from the ingredients used through the production process to marketing and sales.
Some markets implement a pre-market approval process like registration or notification for all pet food, animal feed, and feed additives. Other markets do not have a pre-market approval process but regulate the ingredients and additives used in pet foods. Additionally, some markets do not regulate or even inspect domestically produced pet foods but only their imports. Pet food compliance & pet food Regulatory support is therefore of utmost significance when introducing pet food products and supplements in the market.
Companies across the globe are heavily scrutinized by Animal Health Authorities on pet care product ingredients, additives, labeling, claims, etc. Non-conformity with the regulations can invite major disciplinary actions for manufacturers of animal health products.
Globally pet care Products are regulated at the Union, Country, State, and even at City level. Considering varying Regulatory routes for authorization between and within each jurisdiction that is continuously evolving, concise, and up-to-date Regulatory support is essential for getting new products into global markets.
As a leading global Regulatory partner, Freyr provides market entrants with services to cater to their end-to-end Regulatory needs for pet care products.
- Pet Consumer Products, Pet Food Registration/Notifications, and Regulatory Intelligence
- Pet Care Product Formulation compliance
- Product Classification & Market Feasibility Assessments
- Scientific Data Gap Assessments
- Pet Product Labeling Review & Compliance
- Claims Review & Compliance
- Claim Substantiation
- Artwork and Design Assistance
- Preparing Registration Dossiers or Technical Files
- Liaison with Regulatory and Scientific Bodies Like FDA, EFSA, CFIA, etc.
- Undertaking Literature Searches and Data Collection
- Evaluating Safety and Efficacy Assessments